How Are You Celebrating Earth Day? Here’s Some Tips!
At De Young, we take pride in building homes that are environmentally friendly and sustainable. We believe that as a builder, our responsibility is to create homes and communities that promote green living. As a way to celebrate environmental protection and awareness, we encourage you to celebrate Earth Day on April 22nd. There are many ways to celebrate, here are a few events taking place in Fresno and Clovis:
Opportunities to Celebrate Earth Day:
- Earth Day Fresno Festival – Saturday, April 22nd, 10am-4pm: Our local Earth Day Chapter will host this event at Radio Park on First and Clinton. The event will have green vendors, fun activities for kids, bike show, local food vendors, and live entertainment. Admission is free. Join the community to celebrate Our Planet.
- Clovis Botanical Garden Tour – Saturday, April 22nd, 10am-12pm: Take a free tour of the three-acre water-wise demonstration garden which is composed of beautiful plants and landscapes. You’ll have the chance to learn more about sustainable gardening methods that are appropriate for the hot summers and cool winter of California’s Central Valley.
- Art of Life Healing Garden Fundraiser –Saturday, April 22nd, 8am-3:30pm: Enjoy a day filled with numerous fun activities such as: yoga, interval fitness classes, art projects, a “volunteer to plant” activity organized by the local Girl Scouts, and more. All donations from this event will benefit the Art of Life Cancer Foundation.
- Millerton Clean-Up Day-Saturday April 22nd 8:30am-12:30pm: Enjoy a day at beautiful Millerton lake, while giving back to the state park in our community. This volunteer opportunity will include planting trees, removing weeds, laying fresh mulch, and replacing drip line irrigation. One of the best ways to spend Earth Day is by helping to clean it up.
To celebrate Earth Day, you don’t have to go to an event and you don’t have to install new solar panels or buy an electric car to make changes that have an environmental impact. This day provides a great chance to evaluate your green awareness and commit to making changes. If you are already green-savvy, that is awesome but know that there’s always more you can do. For instance, take a look at these ideas to become greener:
Tips to Live Green
- Reduce the use of your car: Here in the Central Valley we understand the importance of good air quality. To try and keep the bad air days at bay, consider riding your bike rather than driving your car for nearby errands. Another thing you can do is start a carpool with your coworkers; not only will this save you money, it will also reduce the emissions helping us move towards better air quality.
- Plant something: Starting a garden is one of the most rewarding things you can do. Plant your favorite fruits and vegetables and watch them grow. Be the proud gardener that serves a meal with produce from your own garden. You can even do small things in conjunction with gardening such as starting your own compost; not only with this help you be green but it will also promote a healthy garden. Or maybe adding some beautiful flowers to your front yard is more your style. Enjoy the beautiful variety of colors and the curb appeal that come with sprucing up your yard. The options are endless; the only limit is your imagination.
- Conserve water: Want to save money and help the environment? Water conservation is easier than most people think. Small, everyday things like taking shorter showers, washing clothes in cold water, using the fastest spin cycle, and turning the water off while you brush your teeth all contribute to water conservation.
- Everyday lighting: With the use of energy-efficient light bulbs, you can light up your house with the same amount of light while saving money. Typically these bulbs only cost a few more dollars and last longer, so you get better bang for your buck. New bulbs are an easy way to go green, while saving money at the same time.
Being green sounds harder than it really is; small everyday changes can help us move towards a more sustainable future. Whether you participate at an event or adopt new green living habits, you are making a difference; this is what Earth Days is really about. No matter what you chose to do, we wish you a wonderful Earth Day as we all come together to make the Earth a better place.
(1) Google Images, (2) The Art of Life Cancer Foundation Facebook, (3) 10 Steps to Beginning a Garden, (4) Google Images.