Earth Day Turns 50 – Here’s How You Can Celebrate Earth Day This Year!
At De Young Properties, living green is one of our biggest responsibilities. We have a long history of commitment to build homes that are environmentally friendly and sustainable to benefit the homeowner and the environment in the long term. We believe that as a builder, it is our duty to create homes and communities that advocate green living. This dedication to work in harmony with the environment is why we are building tomorrow’s home, today!
De Young RidgeView, The Highlands by De Young and EnVision are communities of Zero Energy homes, designed with the potential to produce as much clean energy as they consume in a year.* Zero Energy is a transformative approach to how new homes can be built.
In fact, these Zero Energy communities have received several accolades. As the first community designed to be Zero Energy in Central California, De Young EnVision received the prestigious Grand Award Honors for “Best Innovative Energy Design” from the Pacific Coast Builders Gold Nugget Awards. Also, De Young RidgeView was bestowed “Community of the Year” by Green Homebuilder Magazine.
Learn how you can live in a brand NEW De Young Zero Energy home!
This year marks the 50th anniversary of Earth Day, which was first celebrated on April 22, 1970. This day provides the opportunity to evaluate your green awareness and learn new ways to go green! Here are some of the ways you can help make an environmental impact this year for Earth Day.
Live Green Every Day!
- Set a Schedule for your Thermostat: Setting a schedule for your programmable thermostat can help you save money by adjusting the amount of heating or cooling from your HVAC system based on your family’s schedules. For more information, click here.
- Plant an Herb Garden: Herbs are easy to grow and hardy, which makes them perfect for gardening beginners! Herbs are also a great way to get kids involved in going green. Here’s some useful tips for starting your own herb garden.
- Everyday lighting: With the use of energy-efficient LED light bulbs, you can light up your house with the same amount of light while saving money. These bulbs only cost a few more dollars and last longer, so you get a better bang for your buck. New bulbs are an easy way to go green, while saving money at the same time.
- Conserve water:Want to save money and help the environment? Water conservation is easier than most people think. Small, everyday things like taking shorter showers, washing clothes in cold water, using the fastest spin cycle, and turning the water off while you brush your teeth all contribute to water conservation.
- Eliminate Useless Energy Waste: Even those most dedicated to green living at home waste energy via household items that are not in use. Tour the home and look for leaky faucets that need to be fixed, electronics and chargers that can be unplugged, and computers that need to be completely shut off. All of these adjustments will improve one’s green-living lifestyle.
As we mark Earth Day’s 50th anniversary, De Young Properties believes that energy efficiency and sustainability is more important now than ever. Living greener takes practice, but even small adjustments can make a big difference on a global scale!
Searching for a new home? De Young Properties has a multitude of interactive design features to help you help you create your dream home from the comfort of your own couch! To learn more about our online digital design tools, click here.
Author: Brandon De Young