Autumn Mac and Cheese
Make Ahead Recipe!
1 pound elbow macaroni
1 quart whole milk
8 tablespoons unsalted butter, divided
½ cup all-purpose flour
12 ounces Gruyere, grated
8 ounces extra-sharp Cheddar, grated
½ teaspoon paprika
Salt and pepper to taste
1 ½ cups fresh white breadcrumbs
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
- Cook macaroni in salted boiling water until al dente then drain.
- Heat the milk in saucepan to hot but not boiled. Melt 6 tablespoons of butter in large pot and add the flour. Stirring with a whisk, cook over low heat for 2 minutes. Slowly add hot milk, cook for two minutes until thickened.
- Off the heat, add the Gruyere, Cheddar, paprika, salt, and pepper. Stir until cheese is melted. Add cooked macaroni, stir well. Pour into baking dish.
- Melt the remaining 2 tablespoons of butter, combine with breadcrumbs and sprinkle on top.
- Bake for 35 minutes, or until the sauce is bubbly and breadcrumbs are browned.